More irresistible stuff

Tuesday 8 February 2011

The King's Speech Triumphs

OK it may not be the Oscars (yet) but The King's Speech wins the Dominic de Mattos award for Best Actor hands down. The Dom is a coveted award, much sought after in the entertainment industry, in case you were wondering.



The story is about one man's struggle against a debilitating stammer; a handicap in any walk of life but a nightmare if you are a prince. This film is based on the true experiences of Albert, Duke of York, who became King George VI, as he is thrust to prominence following his brother's abdication. I found the direction moving, the script engaging and the acting superb. As I might have already mentioned, Colin Firth, as the Duke of York, excelled in his portrayal of a man tortured by self doubt and fear of failure, firmly suppressed beneath his public face of duty.
Helena Bonham Carter perfectly captured the Duchess of York's character (The Duchess of York, of course, became the nations beloved Queen Mother, known for being prim and proper, and yet with a heart of gold). If this film does not win at least three Oscars, then I will declare the world a justice free zone!

12 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you Fellow Crusader. I have to agree with your assessment of the "King's Speech"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything comes together in "The King's Speech"; have to agree with you about the Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cast of this movie and I very much want to see it. I watched Inside the Actor's Studio last night and Colin Firth was being interviewed. Wow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the King's Speech!! Loved it!!!! I so think Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter should all get something for their stellar performances!! I love how the film also captured the amazing wireless technology then too! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dom! Still haven't had a chance to catch it, but plan to before the Oscars. You're the 4 billionth person I've heard say it's the best movie of the year.

    Clearly now that it has a 'Dom' under its belt, anything else will be gravy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't seen the movie yet, but with your recommendation I might just keep this one in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this movie over the weekend and completely loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Dom! Still haven't had a chance to catch it, but plan to before the Oscars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you, Dominic. I saw the film last week and everything about it was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've not seen it yet, but I adore Colin Firth so it won't be long before we join the ranks of those smitten with this movie. Everything I've heard about it has been wonderful, so I'm not surprised it qualified for the prestigious Dom Award. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen this film yet but it is a priority. Apparently The Queen has seen it and rates it very highly. That's saying a lot when you consider it is about her father.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay...this movie is now at the top of my priority list. I haven't seen it yet and everyone is saying such good things about it. I feel out of the loop.

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. You want to make my day don't you?