More irresistible stuff

Sunday 6 November 2011

In Love with Nano


NaNoWriMo Day 6
(as DominicSFF)

(Buddies welcome!)

Ok, it's official. I am addicted. I LOVE writing!

I know everyone says, "just write don't edit", but I couldn't help myself. I just had to re-read everything I had written virtually every time I sat down to write. It's hardly surprising that I never got anywhere and my stories became tired and boring (to me at least). Now WriMo has set me free! I have no time for reading through once, let alone many times. No time for editing, I just have to write, and enjoy the story as it unfolds. I am absolutely loving it, and I just can't get enough of writing! I have reached the 16,000 word mark, so have a comfortable little margin for those days I won't be able to write.

I'll share a little teaser with you - it's the excerpt on the NaNoWriMo site.

“Kill her,” he said through clenched teeth.
One of the guard raised his sword and lunged forward.
“No!” Kari screamed and then she was free. The guards in front of her were hurled high into the air. A splintering behind her told her that Borsten had been flung backwards into the lectern. She did not wait to work out what had happened but ran like the wind towards the doors. She leapt over Rashad’s crumpled body, tears blinding her, anger seething in her heart. The Magisters were in uproar, but no-one unleashed the Power against her. The guards, scattered across the chamber floor, were struggling to their feet. She ran past the dining hall and past the stairs to the kitchens, she ran blindly and without thought. She ran into the great entrance hall and towards the great bronze doors of the entrance tower, the first and greatest part of the Loremaster’s Hall. She ran at the doors even though they were closed against her, and barely noticed the guards, tossed before her fury like autumn leaves. She screamed defiance at the doors, and they burst outwards in a shower of twisted shards. Half the tower wall blew out at the force of her will. She stood at the centre of a maelstrom of Power and felt it tearing her apart. Then with a massive groan the great tower above fell in upon itself and Kari looked up as a mountain of stone rained down upon her.

A (hopefully) unexpected end to Chapter 5. Would I kill off my MC? How could she possibly survive?

Remember that this is unpolished and unlikely to remain in this form through editing

6 comments:

  1. Wow - talk about action packed adrenalin pumping stuff! Yay for you! Happy nano-ing! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I LOVE Nano, for the same reason you said (are we twins?). I am a notorious over-editor and NaNo reminds me Just Keep Going. And you know what? My MC's voice (he's a teen boy) is more honest and true in my NaNo "brain dump," probably because I'm not standing around with a big stick censuring every little comment he makes. It turns out that Ray Bradbury is right: "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way."

    NaNo forces us to get out of our own way. :)

    Love your excerpt. So much wonderful action and the promise of more to come. Keep writing, Dom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful excerpt! Good luck with NaNo! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I feel the same way about NaNo too - I feel much less precious about my writing, which is setting me free. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dom!
    Just wanted to say Happy New Year, and I chose this post because you sound so happy about NaNoWriMo. I am hoping to organize my life (and advise my husband) so I can try it next year. It's a long time since I've tried my hand at a novel (I'm terrible with plotting) but I think the discipline of a deadline and a total number of words would be a good thing for me.
    I hope you continue with this level of enthusiasm throughout the coming year, my friend!
    K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. You want to make my day don't you?